My research interests are in natural language processing, machine translation, information retrieval, language and multimodal resources, and the evaluation of linguistic and interactive systems.
I was the leader of the MODERN SNSF Sinergia project (2013-2017) on Modeling Discourse Entities and Relations for Coherent Machine Translation, which followed the COMTIS Sinergia project (2010-2013), on Improving the Coherence of Machine Translation Output by Modeling Intersentential Relations. I have been involved in the IM2 NCCR from its start (2002-2013), working on dialogue processing, data management and HCI, as head or deputy head of two individual projects. I have contributed to the SUMMA EU project (2016-2017), as well as to the inEvent European project (2011-2014), and to the AMIDA European integrated project (2007-2010) as head of a work package on interfaces and evaluation.
- Miculicich L., Pappas N., Ram D., & Popescu-Belis A. (2018) – Self-Attentive Residual Decoder for Neural Machine Translation. To appear in the Proceedings of the 16th Annual Conference of the North American Chapter of the Association for Computational Linguistics: Human Language Technologies (NAACL HLT 2018), New Orleans, LA, USA, June 2018.
- Honnet P.-E., Popescu-Belis A., Musat C., Baeriswyl M. (2018) – Machine Translation of Low-Resource Spoken Dialects: Strategies for Normalizing Swiss German. To appear in the Proceedings of the 11th Language Resources and Evaluation Conference (LREC), Miyazaki, Japan, May 2018.
- Pappas N. & Popescu-Belis A. (2017) – Multilingual Hierarchical Attention Networks for Document Classification. Proceedings of the 8th International Joint Conference on Natural Language Processing (IJCNLP), Taipei, Taiwan. Best paper award.
- Pu X., Pappas N. & Popescu-Belis A. (2017) – Sense-Aware Statistical Machine Translation using Adaptive Context-Dependent Clustering. Proceedings of the 2nd Conference on Machine Translation (WMT), Copenhagen, Denmark.
- Miculicich Werlen L. & and Popescu-Belis A. (2017) – Validation of an Automatic Metric for the Accuracy of Pronoun Translation (APT). Proceedings of the EMNLP 3rd Workshop on Discourse in Machine Translation (DiscoMT), Copenhagen, Denmark.
- Pu X., Mascarell L. & Popescu-Belis A. (2017) – Consistent Translation of Repeated Nouns using Syntactic and Semantic Cues. Proceedings of the 15th Conference of the European Chapter of the Association for Computational Linguistics (EACL), Valencia, 5-7 April 2017.
- Luong N.Q., Popescu-Belis A., Rios Gonzales A. & Tuggener D. (2017) – Machine Translation of Spanish Personal and Possessive pronouns using Anaphora Probabilities. Proceedings of the 15th Conference of the European Chapter of the Association for Computational Linguistics (EACL), Valencia, 5-7 April 2017.
- Miculicich Werlen L. & and Popescu-Belis A. (2017) – Using Coreference Links to Improve Spanish-to-English Machine Translation. Proceedings of the EACL Workshop on Coreference Resolution Beyond OntoNotes (CORBON), Valencia, 4 April 2017.
- Pappas N. & Popescu-Belis A. (2017) – Explicit Document Modeling through Weighted Multiple-Instance Learning. Journal of Artificial Intelligence Research (JAIR), vol. 58, p. 591-626.
Other recent communications
- Popescu-Belis A. (2017) – Document-level Statistical MT: from Connectives to Pronouns. Invited talk to the Workshop on “Machine Translation meets Translators”, University of Zürich, 16 May 2017.
- Machine translation: going beyond sentence by sentence, press release by the SNSF on April 3, 2017, followed by articles in about 15 printed newspapers and 30 online media.
- Popescu-Belis A., Pu X., Miculicich L. and Mascarell L. (2017) – Using context to improve the machine translation of nouns and pronouns. Talk at the 2nd Swiss Text Analytics Conference (SwissText 2017), Winterthur, Switzerland.
- Pappas N. and Popescu-Belis A. (2017) – Labeling Text in Several Languages with Multilingual Hierarchical Attention Networks. Talk at the 2nd Swiss Text Analytics Conference (SwissText 2017), Winterthur, Switzerland.
- Miculicich L., Pappas N., Ram D., & Popescu-Belis A. (2017) – Global-Context Neural Machine Translation through Target-Side Attentive Residual Connections. Idiap Research Report, n. 24, September 2017.
- Pilault J., Pappas N., Miculicich Werlen L. & Popescu-Belis A. (2017) – Evaluating Attention Networks for Anaphora Resolution. Idiap Research Report, 27-2017, Idiap Research Institute, September 2017, 22 p.
- Mrini K., Pappas N. & Popescu-Belis A. (2017) – Cross-lingual Transfer for News Article Labeling: Benchmarking Statistical and Neural Models. Idiap Research Report, 26-2017, Idiap Research Institute, September 2017, 11 p.