My research interests are in natural language processing, machine translation, information retrieval, language and multimodal resources, and the evaluation of linguistic and interactive systems.
My current research projects include :
- DOMAT (On-demand Knowledge for Document-level Machine Translation) supported by the SNSF
- PLACAT (Plateforme d’agents conversationnels pour l’accès aux connaissances textuelles) supported by the HES-SO
Previously, I have been the leader of the MODERN SNSF Sinergia project (2013-2017) on Modeling Discourse Entities and Relations for Coherent Machine Translation, which followed the COMTIS Sinergia project (2010-2013), on Improving the Coherence of Machine Translation Output by Modeling Intersentential Relations. I have been involved in the IM2 NCCR from its start (2002-2013), working on dialogue processing, data management and HCI, as head or deputy head of two individual projects. I have contributed to the SUMMA EU project (2016-2017), as well as to the inEvent European project (2011-2014), and to the AMIDA European integrated project (2007-2010) as head of a work package on interfaces and evaluation.
- Popescu-Belis A. (2019) – Context in Neural Machine Translation: A Review of Models and Evaluations. arXiv:1901.09115, Jan. 2019, 16 p.
- Pu X., Pappas N., Henderson J., & Popescu-Belis A. (2018) – Integrating Weakly Supervised Word Sense Disambiguation into Neural Machine Translation. Transactions of the Association for Computational Linguistics (TACL), vol. 6, p. 635-649.
- Miculicich L., Pappas N., Ram D., & Popescu-Belis A. (2018) – Self-Attentive Residual Decoder for Neural Machine Translation. Proceedings of the 16th Annual Conference of the North American Chapter of the Association for Computational Linguistics: Human Language Technologies (NAACL HLT 2018), New Orleans, LA, USA, June 2018.
- Honnet P.-E., Popescu-Belis A., Musat C., Baeriswyl M. (2018) – Machine Translation of Low-Resource Spoken Dialects: Strategies for Normalizing Swiss German. Proceedings of the 11th Language Resources and Evaluation Conference (LREC), Miyazaki, Japan, May 2018.
- Pappas N. & Popescu-Belis A. (2017) – Multilingual Hierarchical Attention Networks for Document Classification. Proceedings of the 8th International Joint Conference on Natural Language Processing (IJCNLP), Taipei, Taiwan. Best paper award.
- Pappas N. & Popescu-Belis A. (2017) – Explicit Document Modeling through Weighted Multiple-Instance Learning. Journal of Artificial Intelligence Research (JAIR), vol. 58, p. 591-626.
Other recent communications
- Luthier G. and Popescu-Belis A. (2019) – PLACAT: A user-friendly question answering system for smart speaker devices. Talk at the 4th Swiss Text Analytics Conference (SwissText 2019), Winterthur, June 2019.
- Large contexts in neural machine translation. Talk at the 3rd Applied Machine Learning Days (AMLD 2019), EPFL, Lausanne, Switzerland, 29 January 2019.
- Intelligence artificielle et langage humain. Conférence Pro, Numerik Games, Yverdon-les-Bains, 23 August 2018.
- Les traducteurs en ligne se sont bien améliorés. Interviewed for an article by C. Chevrolet, in the magazine Bon à Savoir, April 2018, pages 14-15.
- Popescu-Belis A. (2017) – Document-level Statistical MT: from Connectives to Pronouns. Invited talk to the Workshop on “Machine Translation meets Translators”, University of Zürich, 16 May 2017.
- Machine translation: going beyond sentence by sentence, press release by the SNSF on April 3, 2017, followed by articles in about 15 printed newspapers and 30 online media.